Saturday, July 27, 2019

too much self

I've been reading a lot lately, I guess - and too preoccupied to post here....


"I now think the rampant individualism of our current culture is a catastrophe. The emphasis on self - individual success, self-fulfillment, individual freedom, self-actualization - is a catastrophe. I now think that living a good life requires a much vaster transformation."

"For six decades the worship of the self has been the central preoccupation of our culture - molding the self, investing in the self, expressing the self. ...When a whole society is built around self-preoccupation, its members become separated from one another, divided and alienated. And that is what has happened to us. We are down in the valley. The rot we see in our politics is caused by a rot in our moral and cultural foundations - in the way we relate to one another, in the way we see ourselves as separable from one another, in the individualistic values that have become the water in which we swim."


                                                        - David Brooks, The Second Mountain


Not that I didn't already know this, but he puts it very well, and I think has enough popularity and maybe influence to really get the point across.

4 comments:

  1. I agree! He expresses it forcefully and eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I really hope he reaches people. He has come to a point in his life where he realizes that everything he has worked so hard for doesn't satisfy like he expected it would. His marriage fell apart and he sees he wasn't a good enough friend - he wasn't engaged enough with his friends to make any real connections. His life lacked joy. He calls the drive for a good career, a family, success, etc., the first mountain. The second mountain is (maybe) after things fall apart, you suffer, and life takes on a deeper meaning. At least, it does if you let it. I've known who he is for many years, but never read any of his work. He often appears on news programs as a conservative, but he always seemed not quite conservative enough (to me); he was a conservative-ish nice guy the media would call on to get a (somewhat) different side of things (than their own). Because he has been likable to so many, I am hoping this book will make a difference.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I had never heard of him and will look out for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually been ruminating on a similar line. I'm unfamiliar with this book or author. I'll make a note of it.

    ReplyDelete