Monday, July 8, 2019

fur and feathers

I wanted to name this post "two lousy photos", and you will soon see why.

An oriole showed up in the forsythia hedge along the side of the house; he wouldn't keep still.


His head is busy eating a black raspberry, I'm sure. They seem to be way inside the foliage this year and too hard to reach - the birds can have them.

A good year for orioles and rabbits, and here is one near our bridge -


I see them here, at work and yesterday we visited our cousins at the shore - there was one hanging out in the bushes there.

I used the digital zoom on the camera, and it's really a last resort.

4 comments:

  1. You have rabbits too. So far ours haven't damaged anything, although I know I'm tempting fate. The oriole is a beautiful yellow. I'm not sure we have anything quite like it. A neighbour's canary once escaped and sat on the children's play house, but that doesn't really count. You may not be happy with the photos, but I'm glad you took them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. :) Yes, they seem used to us and are everywhere.

      Delete
  2. I really like these. They really aren't bad at all. I like to think that the zoom lends an air of wonder with the "haze". The oriole stands out among the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just got a cellphone last year so before that I always carried a small digital camera and I was used to the good quality zoom...my cellphone zoom is a perpetual disappointment to me. But, it is basically always handy. I pack the "real" camera for birding outings and vacations ever since we saw those Gambel's Quail in Arizona and I took just terrible photos. ;)

    Even a "lousy" photo still helps jog a memory though. At least mine.

    ReplyDelete