Wednesday, June 12, 2019

the annual weeds of June

I have talked about this before - in fact, I just looked it up in my blog archives and found it on another June twelfth! - how sweet the air is around here every June. I used to think it was fancy or exaggeration when poets exclaimed over sweet fragrances wafting along the breeze, but now I know I was mistaken.


The above is a clump of wild roses growing across our brook, along the bank. And I can smell the scent through my bedroom window. We did not plant it there, nor did the birds. You may read my previous post in the link above, or I can repeat the story now. We'd pruned several branches of the stuff from a bunch of it nearer the house, and then threw it over there, presumably to break down in the way of nature. But when it was time for all good roses to bloom, those cut branches bloomed! Without any root! And by now have established themselves over there, to look pretty and sweeten the June air.

Who can complain about such a weed? (And also - is there a lesson to be found in this? Because I'm sure there is one.)

4 comments:

  1. Glory to God! One reason I love to take walks is to smell the roses along the way, in other people's yards. I don't have any, and at home no rose aromas waft over the fences or through the windows to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smell of roses! How fortunate that this rose decided to stay with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful, Lisa! So many lovely smells at this time of year - wandering along a country lane, even in our postage-stamp patch of a garden. And freshly-mowed grass is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete