Thursday, March 14, 2019

one clean window - a beginning

Today was another beautiful day, in the fifties. I was just about to wash the floor when I had the idea to wash a window. Just one. In March.

You may recall that I never cleaned the windows last fall - last October was not conducive to window-washing. It's always my habit to do them in May and October if I can. You see, I like to wait for a day of mild breezes, such pleasant air that you just long to hang outside your windows and breathe it in. That's usually in May and October.


But weather isn't predictable anymore, is it? I realized I need to think outside the box, to seize my opportunities when they come.

So, when I also remembered that I had to hard-boil some eggs for my brother's lunch tomorrow, I set them on to boil and cleaned one of the kitchen windows. I took my time; I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I washed the floor.

I have no idea when the next window-washing opportunity will arrive. I will look forward to it.

10 comments:

  1. Well done, Lisa! I have begun to perform tasks when I can and not when I should (if you understand me). I get through all the jobs eventually and I don't get quite as tired or as frustrated when the weather isn't right or family circumstances out of my control prevent me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! And you do get through all the jobs eventually - that's the goal, anyway, isn't it? I'm learning. :)

      Delete
  2. That's the spirit! And so wise :-)

    I was just thinking this morning, as I do often nowadays, what great benefit there is in doing a job as soon as I think of it, so that I don't have to write it on a list to remember for later. I kind of hate those lists that just grow and grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - I know what you mean. Of course, there is the other side of that coin, that if you are only always doing what comes to you, it's possible that you're (I don't mean you, Gretchen!) lacking order in your life. So it's the balance we are always looking for.

      Delete
  3. Excellent seizing of opportunity! If the weather is going to be wacky and unpredictable we must roll with it!

    I opened the windows to let in the breeze today at lunchtime. I think that is a first for the year. It is such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treat, yes! The first is always so wonderful. I've read of homeschoolers who keep a notebook of "firsts". The first day the robins come back, the first day the windows get opened, etc. I kind of like the idea.

      Delete
    2. Matt and I used to keep track of our Bird Firsts each year--the first Robin, the first Goldfinch, etc. I don't know why that fell by the wayside. I always report to Matt over dinner, etc., when I see my first spring flowers! I bet it will be soon.

      I like the idea of keeping it in a book. I already carry a journal everyday. I should devote a page to the firsts of the seasons--the first ripe strawberry of summer, the first golden leaf of fall. So maybe...

      Delete
  4. LOVE this idea of basking in the fresh air during window washing! Mine are terribly dirty (thanks, city) and I would love to adopt your May/October method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - just do it when it's nice, so you can enjoy it! And maybe the kids would, too. :)

      Delete