Monday, February 4, 2019

fur, feathers and foliage

One week ago today, it was bitter cold; today our windows were open - I even wore my sandals!  Barefoot in February! In the house, that is - what with the oven and everything, I just got too warm.
I have to say it was lovely, although not normal. But two days ago, snow covered everything; now it is gone.


I took apart the wreath today. Sweetie helped me with the tree. The living room is back to the way it was. I've been bringing in evergreen cuttings, though.





My brother took a walk this evening, and ran into Diane pulling into her driveway. He asked about Mr. K. She said she lets him out on nice days, and when he's had enough, he comes back in just like that. Imagine - Mr. Kibble getting domesticated - will wonders never cease! God is good; there is no matter too small for the help of the saints.

Last week I'd set out a sturdy bowl full of bird seed, and placed it inside a container on the front step. I wanted something out there and safe from wind, but I never knew if any birds found it until the other day  - Dolly was making some cat noises as she looked out the window. There was the little wren at the orange feeder again, and also at the bowl! I'm glad somebody knows where this food is, although I'm not sure the wren wants to share her information.


10 comments:

  1. oh how wonderful about Mr Kibble! yes, nothing is to small for God and His Saints!!! And very nice about the bird food! I love hearing birdsong as I awake...such a blessing.... and the weather, yes, such a warm day today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the birds have been singing more lately I've noticed - even before the warm spell; it's a sign that spring will come!

      Delete
  2. What a lot of news! I am pleased your brother was able to find out how and why Mr Kibble was turning up at your house - so good to know!
    Your weather is very changeable and strange. I hope it doesn't confuse the plants and wild animals and birds! At least the wren has found the birdseed and I am sure there will be others when you aren't looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago our weather was predictable, Clare. I don't know what's going on now. I'm trying not to think of my poor forsythia.

      Delete
    2. Our weather used to be predictable as well. Each season and (almost) each month had their own typical weather; but not any more. Would it be possible to cover the forsythia with gardener's fleece before it freezes again? That may protect the new shoots that are probably growing in the warmer weather.

      Delete
  3. Yay! If one wren found you I bet more will find out soon enough, despite the tight lips, er beak, of the first visitor. I am so, so, so pleased to hear about Mr. Kibbles. How wonderful!

    It was 50 degrees one day and 5 degrees the next here. What a world. Stay cozy and warm now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ventured out on Monday to walk on Joshua's Tract in Columbia. Good to breath fresh air. Searched high and low for signs of mushrooms and for a winter downed carving branch to make into a spoon.
    The little wren feels spoiled and is probably overwhelmed with the fact of so much for herself. I am sure she will share after the bowl suddenly seems to much for just one.

    Kimmie
    Mama to 8
    One homemade and 7 adopted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmie, I saw a sparrow eating there just today! And he was having quite a bit. :) It certainly has been mild lately, and very welcome. But I fear we New Englanders are turned into weather wimps.

      Delete
  5. Glad all is going well with fur and feather friends! Sweetie is a 'twin' to the little cat (Baby) I had once. She even sits the same way :)

    Our weather is also extreme and unpredictable. 3C on my early morning walk one day, and then climbing back up to 30C the next day!! xx

    ReplyDelete