Saturday, December 23, 2017

getting ready

The weather people were predicting a warm day today, in the fifties, but it sure wasn't. We had ice all day and it's still there.


My brother had to oh-so carefully move out to his car this morning; to show me how icy it was, he placed the jug of ice melt on the driveway and it slid about two feet by itself. But the roads were okay.

I asked him when he wanted to eat tomorrow, since he'll be going out to help at the four o'clock Mass and then at the midnight. And then I realized the best thing to do is embrace this crazy schedule and make a brunch for after church, and with my birthday omelet fresh in my mind, I prepared as much as I could ahead of time. I made two omelets today, and I'm going to fill them with salmon, spinach and some cheese, so I also cooked the spinach and the fish ahead.


I can throw it all together as soon as we get home with homemade applesauce from a customer of his, toast and tea - I think it should hold us till he gets back in the evening, and then we can have soup and toasted cheese sandwiches. Cookies in between, of course.

I tried to do some last-minute cleaning today, after neglecting my usual routine this week. Thursday I ignored housework (except dinner and laundry) and finished the Christmas cards. Yesterday I focused on wrapping. I am realizing something that I didn't get before: if I devote a day to writing cards and ignore all else, it could be an enjoyable day, and I'd probably be able to do it in one day. But, because I try to fit it in with everything else I want to do, it drags on and I'm still doing it at the eleventh hour. This applies to any extra but important task, and I am beginning to see that I need to just embrace having to do it - the housework can be caught up (more or less) another time. I hope I remember this - I need to try it.


"I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Behold, God's dwelling is with the human race. He will dwell with them and they will be his people and God himself will always be with them (as their God)."

Revelation 21:3



2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your preparations...and celebrations! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hate having to walk or drive on ice! I am glad the roads were okay.
    I always try to get the cards done in one go and they are usually out of the way before the 3rd Sunday in Advent. That is the only task I always get done in time though!

    ReplyDelete