Friday, April 21, 2017

a new life for my old robe

I am very happy to say that my robe is almost completed - I need to hem the sleeves and I can wear it tonight.


The buttons - which I really love - aren't on because the fuzzy chenille was sticking in the sewing machine and messing up the buttonholes - I wasn't able to make them. I think I'll have to do them by hand, which I dread. I once tried sewing buttonholes by hand and they came out looking awful, but I don't know what else to do. (please don't suggest bound buttonholes!)


You can see the yellow has a wavy stripe while the original is kind of a narrow line, but it doesn't seem to matter - I think it looks fine. I am relieved.

7 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, Lisa! How clever you are! I've tried sewing buttonholes by hand too. Trying to keep the stitches even is very difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your not being very encouraging, Clare. :D

      Delete
  2. What about sew on press studs/snap fasteners? Not sure what you call them over there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think maybe snaps or how about velcro.:-)
    It's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Scratch the above. I think those hook and eyes that are twisted like scroll in gray would look good! I think they are used on curtains or upholstery? I used them on a jacket once instead of a zipper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The buttons are really nice and they're the same color as the original, so they'd look especially good on the yellow part, if I could do it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could still sew the buttons on (for decoration) but use the snaps to fasten it...

      Delete