Tuesday, September 6, 2016

little watermelons

I'm pretty bad about weeding my (very small) garden and suppose I could come up with several excuses for it.

This morning was overcast, with an irresistibly balmy breeze blowing in past the curtains. I knew what I wanted to do. I weeded both gardens, clipped the long grasses around them, and tossed fertilizer on the beds. Scrubbed the bird bath and refilled it. And because it was cloudy and windy, it was pure pleasure.

There's a little watermelon out there from a plant Debra gave me just when it was time to pull up the garlic plants. I don't know what variety it is or how big it's supposed to get. And I wish I knew how it would fare if I had to bring it in before it's time. Do melons continue to ripen after picking? If they're picked too soon?


It's six or seven inches in diameter, I'd say. It doesn't look like anything exotic, does it? And in my weeding, I found another, smaller one too. I'll keep them out there as long as I can, covering them up if it gets cold. But I really don't know what to expect. I'll just hope.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a fresher, cooler day. I love the feeling of exhilaration that some types of weather gives me - I have so much energy and love to be outdoors. How exciting to find your watermelon treasure buried in among the weeds! I know nothing about growing watermelons but it does look a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is exciting! I hope it will be tasty when the time comes.

      Delete
  2. It will not ripen after picking, but if you think there's any chance of hot days this month, it won't hurt to leave it a little longer.

    One year I had some volunteer watermelons, from children spitting seeds the Fourth of July before. Most summers it's not really hot enough here to grow melons, but I left them to grow and we got three or four good, sweet ones. We had just as many that didn't ripen before fall, but I picked those too and tried to use them somehow, but it was a waste of time and a failure. Not enough sugar had developed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gretchen! I was hoping somebody would have some wisdom on the subject. I'm going to keep it out as long as I can.

      Delete