Saturday, August 27, 2016

always strawberries

Two years ago I bought strawberry plants at Agway, and a strawberry pot. When the cold came, they couldn't last in the pot, of course. Last year I bought more plants and did the same. They didn't do well in the pot, but two survived, I think. At the very end of the warmth, before the ground hardened, I stuck them in one of my gardens.


I know enough about them to know that they spread, so I had been avoiding putting them in the ground, mulling over where the best spot might be where they'd stay put and behave themselves. But when it got too late for any more wondering, I just planted them. I suddenly had the freeing idea that I'd be better off just going with the consequences. I had some dill in the other bed, and I thought that if I had a dill garden and a strawberry garden, that would be okay. (and you can also see the weeds here, I'm sure)

Anyway, I had forgotten what type they were, but they're small, so I guess they must be alpines. And they are ever-bearing. Always either those pretty white flowers, or the luscious berries! They may take over the whole place, but I am willing to adapt to that eventuality

9 comments:

  1. Delicious consequences. lovely.
    And I never see the weeds in someone else's garden, only in my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I first started reading your blog, Tracy - and you were harvesting them at Christmas time. :) Very strange to me.

      Delete
  2. It is such a wonderful feeling when we decide to not worry about something and let things take their course! Alpines are so delicious and they do take over, as I know from experience, but not for ever it seems. I planted some a few years ago and I never thought they would ever go but there is no sign of them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they stick around in the plot! I wonder where yours went. I suppose I should look them up and find out if the plants are only good for a certain period.

      Delete
    2. The strawberries put out lots of runners/stolons all going where I didn't want them so at first I worked hard trying to keep them in order. After a while I just let them go where they wanted to (mainly under the hedge!) though I had to continue to stop them smothering some other plants. Perhaps if I looked carefully under the hedge I might still find some plants. They were very popular with the mice and voles!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've had Alpines before. Sounds good.:-) Maybe I should get some as mine don't go very far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more strawberries, the better, Anne! :)

      Delete
  4. I picked four strawberries from our ever-bearers this morning. Homegrown foods are usually better, but with strawberries, I feel, there is no comparison. So hooray for your two little plants. I hope they do very well there in the soil. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beth! I don't mind the supermarket strawberries, but these - the difference is incredible!

      Delete