Sunday, June 19, 2016

small garden, happy kitty and pantry stew

My garden is very tiny -


what's in it are two strawberry plants, a short row of garlic, one (or possibly two) dill plants and several tomato plants - San Marzano, which were begun very late and won't be ready before mid-August. I have a very hard time getting enthused about it until it becomes hot - which is not the best attitude for a New Englander.

Dolly longs for the outdoors at this time of year, and if she doesn't get out at least every couple of days, she pines like the Beast longing for Beauty. But then when she does, she's a new person!  She's re-invigorated for a while, and then sleeps happily.


I couldn't believe last night that even after carefully planning a menu and writing down all the ingredients I'd need at the store, I'd forgotten to buy almost everything required for today's dinner!  Happily, I was able to make do with what was here, so I guess that means I saved money!


A chard and white bean stew from Smitten Kitchen.  I chose it in order to chip away at an opened bottle of white wine; I forgot to buy the chard and the beans. ahem.  But I had some beans and I had some baby kale. I used crushed tomatoes instead of pureed. It was very good. We had it with kielbasa on the side, and green salad. Milk chocolate pudding for dessert.

Joining Leila this week, who has a REAL garden.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes I find recipes turn out better when we have to improvise :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Lynda - often, a recipe is best when just used as a guideline.

      Delete
  2. When she came to us, Ginger was an indoor cat. Now, she just loves it out there. She totally pines for it when she gets cooped up indoors due to weather, etc. That is such a sweet photo of Dolly. I hope the garden grows well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice of you to even mention my puny arrangement, Beth. We know you have a real garden. :D

      Delete
    2. Even a wee garden is a good thing! ;) And likely you will complain less about all the weeds which I hear about so continually from those with bigger spaces!

      Delete
  3. That Dolly is one sweet kitty! I love seeing her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you have the same trouble as I have when shopping! Another thing I do is forget that I have already bought something and begin to stockpile things. I attempt to hide them but Richard always discovers them - 'why have we three bags of rice at the back of the cupboard?'

    ReplyDelete