Friday, November 8, 2013

pumpkin deceit

I thought I might try a pumpkin frozen yogurt, and was looking up recipes at work today when I saw this:

"Canned pumpkin sold in the United States is usually not pumpkin at all. The U.S. Department of Agriculture allows the more durable blue hubbard squash to be labeled as pumpkin, so most of us grew up eating squash pie, not pumpkin pie."   from The Ultimate Frozen Dessert Book, by Bruce Weinstein.  What?!

Did you know this? I sure didn't.  It's not that I mind the fact that I've been eating squash all these many years - it has always tasted good - but why oh why oh why oh why  - well, you know what I'm getting at.  

Anyway, I found some recipes online and I think I'm going to try it. 

Blue Hubbard Squash frozen yogurt. sigh.

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised, but so sad to learn this. Why oh why???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea. Can anything be trusted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy and Susan have said it all. Bah!

    ReplyDelete