Wednesday, November 20, 2013

a new book about cats

"The first pet cat I ever got to know was...a neurotic Burmese by the name of Kelly. Kelly belonged to a friend of my mother's who had bouts of illness, and no neighbor to feed her cat while she was hospitalized. Kelly boarded with us; he could not be let out in case he tried to run back home, he yowled incessantly, he would eat only boiled cod, and he was evidently used to receiving the undivided attention of his besotted owner. While he was with us, he spent most of his time hiding behind the couch, but within a few seconds of the telephone ringing, he would emerge, make sure that my mother's attention was occupied by the person on the other end of the line, and then sink his long Burmese canines deep into her calf. Regular callers became accustomed to the idea that twenty seconds in, the conversation would be interrupted by a scream and then a muttered curse."

                                                        -  Cat Sense  -  John Bradshaw


Henry, not Kelly

6 comments:

  1. Burmese are so beautiful, we are loving our kittens and I've never been much of a cat person. I did have 1 in middle school that would create havoc whenever I wanted to make my bed, he thought it was the best game and eventually won me over into thinking so too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can't beat 'em, so may as well join 'em.

      Delete
  2. LOl! What a cat! That is so funny. Not really , but in a cat way, totally hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this quote and will have to look for the book. : )

    My daughter's cat (Indiana Jones) is half Burmese, half Bombay. I have to say that he is a very peculiar cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this book has lots of promise - it's full of facts and statistics, but if you are interested in cats, it isn't dry or boring at all.

      Delete