Wednesday, October 2, 2013

mitt progression

I finished my super bulky, thick and thin hand warmers. I absolutely love them.


You may be able to see the predictable hole near the thumb on the left-hand one.  The other is better since I wove in the ends and tightened up the holes. And that's okay, but I'd rather learn how to knit that thumb gusset without holes instead of having to sew it up!  

I'm practicing; I started another pair, with yarn I thought was a charcoal color, but is really more of a plummy brown. 

see the cat hair?

They work up in a trice! I'm still reading Outcasts United, but sometimes I want something a little different, so I've been going through L. M. Montgomery's work. Thanks to some tips I stumbled on at Ravelry, I picked up stitches further down when I did the thumb on this one, and that's an improvement. But I still don't have it quite right. I'm so sorry this yarn is discontinued - it lends so much interesting texture to these mitts. But I think there are some etsy sellers who make something similar. 

Here's a closeup of what I mean -


How satisfying to quickly whip up something with so much personality! 

Joining Ginny today for yarnalong.

16 comments:

  1. Very nice hand warmers. I really need to make myself some more. I keep losing them. That is awesome yarn! Lends itself to some great texture. You can definitely get something similar. I can even spin some up for you - let me know what colors you want. I don't have my Etsy store anymore as I just do custom orders occasionally. Feel free to add me on Ravelry - I'm 'Knit1Spin2'. Send me a message on there. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hand warmers look great, Lisa! I love the thick-thin yarn you are using. I like this method for eliminating those pesky holes: http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2009/04/crossing-stitches-one-way-to-avoid-hole.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I thank you! This looks very clear - I'll try it!

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about the satisfaction of a quick knit...and that yarn knits fun and funky! (I'm still an under 6 size needle girl most of the time...happiest on 1 or 2!!!)
    Thanks for hopping into my blog!! (I'm a former medical librarian....now very very pt time at a public!---if I got more pt time, I wouldn't be there!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel safer with thicker yarn. As Mr. Bennett said, "No lace, Mrs. Bennett, I beg you!" :D

      Delete
  4. lovely ~ what a great knit and yarn! Thanks so much for visiting my blog ~ from your bit about yourself we have a lot in common on many fronts. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog (http://dehakerij.blogspot.nl/)!
    I agree with you: the yarn lends so much interesting texture to these mitts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to make a pair of these. My hands are always cold! I need to read L.M. Montgomery's "Emily" books. I've really been enjoying L.M.'s journals though. Have you read them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I haven't read her journals. I heard she had an unhappy life - but you say you're enjoying them? That's good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute mitts! They really look like they'll be warm. I haven't read The Tangled Web, but will look for it. I'm a Cadfael fan too. :-) Thanks for visiting,
    Blessings,
    Anne♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are really cute. Makes me want to slip them on, sit on the back porch, and sip some coffee. Not sure it would ever be cool enough where I live to wear them, but I may not let that stop me from making a pair. Thanks for stopping by the blog and leaving encouragement about my knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One more thing: those log cabin washcloths you have linked in the sidebar. So, so adorable. I am going to have to make a set of those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Lisa. "Outcasts United" is a book on the UMW Reading List for this year. What do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like it, Nelllie. It's good to be aware of the difficulties of others.

      Delete