Saturday, April 7, 2012

a new way of egg coloring

I was captivated by Alicia Paulson's decorated eggs, and decided to try it myself.

I went outside and picked some weedy things of different types.  I'd bought a package of eight white eggs, and, using her instructions, boiled four of them with some onion skins. I used less than she did, and they came out nice, but lighter than hers.



(It happened that I'd run two pair of pantyhose this week, so that was handy! I fished them out of the trash and washed them. Actually, I think that they're being wet made them easier to work with. They didn't stick to the dry skin on my fingers.)

I also looked at the link she provided in her post, about other egg colors from different foods.  I really wanted to try for violet, and I had some grape juice, so I used that.  Looking at it partway through, it didn't look so promising so I dropped in a tiny bit of green food coloring.  The combination of the grape juice and green gave them an olive-y tone. Very earthy.

But I still wanted to try for the violet - I had two eggs left. I used more juice, and more vinegar this time. Funny, they didn't end up being violet at all - rather more like a taupe. Which is fine - the whole process was fun, anyway.  I didn't think to get jumbo sized eggs - those would show up the designs much better, and I'll have to remember that.


These are my two prettiest ones.  It's a great idea, and I think I'll be trying this again.



7 comments:

  1. Those came out very nice. I especially like the wild pansy one on the right. Or is that a clover? I'll have to try her technique next year. Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lisa, these are beautiful!

    I hope you and yours have a happy holiday today. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Cheryl, that's a clover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun and pretty! I will have to try this after I try dying them with silk ties! ;)So many projects and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny; this is an old method around here! But I did not know about grape juice. But I know red cabbage with vinegar gives turquoise!

    We did not dye any eggs this year. They're expensive right now (pah!) and I must say I did not miss it - it has never been the most important part of Easter for me... Maybe because it's connected to a stupid tradition of women whipping in the Czech Republic. Dyeing eggs just for fun - or for playing games with, Lithuanian way - is fine with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't colored eggs for a few years, but I had to try this method. So, it's an old method to you! I'm glad it's spreading!

      I think I saw something online a few days ago about eggs being expensive - was it mainly in eastern Europe? But I didn't understand why.

      I hope I'll remember that red cabbage makes turquoise eggs - you will have to remind me, Hana! :D

      Delete
    2. I do not understand it either... It's one of those mysteries of trade. Trade in the less personal sense.

      Delete