Monday, January 9, 2012

"even the sandwich tray"

"A young woman, pretty, lively, with a harp as elegant as herself; and both placed near a window, cut down to the ground, and opening on a little lawn, surrounded by shrubs in the rich foliage of summer, was enough to catch any man's heart. The season, the scene, the air, were all favourable to tenderness and sentiment.   ...it was all in harmony; and as everything will turn to account when love is once set going, even the sandwich tray..."

                  -  Mansfield Park,     by  Jane Austen

4 comments:

  1. :D

    I don't remember much of Mansfield Park, although I do remember I've read it. But then, C. S. Lewis might say I have not read it if I don't remember it... :D If there's more like this, it's definitely worth re-reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All in harmony....what memorable words, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading Jane's books again. Just a fun thing to do every now and then. I am sure I would have pulled this quote out of her book if you hadn't gotten there before me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She definitely had a sly way of saying things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete