Wednesday, November 9, 2011

three books and a bag

I'm joining Ginny's yarnalong today, with my (finally) completed Attic24 crochet bag.


It was done a month ago, but I've been hung up with the flowers. First, figuring out how to make crocheted flowers, then making a few, then looking at other crocheted flower designs. Not to mention trying to decide if I even wanted flowers on it, and then determining how to place the handles. 

I just began reading Therese: Saint of a Little Way, by Frances Parkinson Keyes. I've seen her books on the library shelf, but never tried one. It's very good so far - at least, the preface was; this is a post-war edition to the original, where she's gone back to France where she wrote the book in the beautiful atmosphere of a Benedictine Abbey in Lisieux years before, to see a bombed-out ruin of a town. 


Here are the flowers I made for the bag, but when it came down to it, I thought I'd prefer it without. This time. Because I like the pattern, and will probably make it again. 


It's quite a large bag, the diameter at the top being twenty six inches!  The size of it is an invitation to load it up with things, but I doubt the handles could take the stress.  I'll try a smaller version next time, and maybe find a way to reinforce the handles. 


I am actually reading three books - Let God's Light Shine Forth: the Spiritual Vision of Pope Benedict XVI, and I'm still also with Columbus' log. All three enjoyable in their own ways.


Thank you, Ginny!

11 comments:

  1. Love the bag, and I think you're right about not going with the flowers - it's bright and cheery enough by itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a colorful bag! This is great. Personally, I don't think it needs flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your bag, it's very colorful and will go with anything.
    I read the same book a few months ago and it is a joy all the way through.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bag, I don't think it needs the flowers either, it is cheery enough without.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bag as is!

    And that is some heavy reading you're doing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sticking with me Lisa. Now you are inspiring me. And that is the body of Christ!

    Love the finished bag! You are going to look so wonderfully artsy carrying it. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you use Nicky Epstein's book on making crocheted flowers? she's got some gorgeous patterns in there =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Nicky E.'s book here, but I just thought it looked fine with the handles sewn inside, and no flowers. Although I certainly like Lucy's version with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete