Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"Under the Tuscan Sun"


I'm reading this again - for the fourth time? - not to mention how many times I've listened to it - Barbara Caruso, ahhhhhh!  what a voice she has! - and I still love it.


"How Italian will we ever be? Not very, I'm afraid. Too unable to gesture as a natural accompaniment to talking. I saw a man step outside the confining telephone booth so he could wave his hands while talking. Many people pull over to the side of the road to talk on their car phones because they simply cannot keep a hand on the wheel, one on the telephone, and talk at the same time. We never will master the art of everyone talking at once. Often from the window, I see groups of three or four strolling down our road. All are talking simultaneously. Who's listening? Talking can be about talking."

                                                          -    Frances Mayes

3 comments:

  1. I saw the movie but never read the book - I'm a very animated talker (much to the embarrassment of my husband and his very sedate family at times. I think this book should be on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, maybe talking in a car should be illegal in italy, with all those hands waving around, not holding the wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will NEVER HAPPEN! haha

    Kathryn - the movie was awful - the book is dreamy.

    ReplyDelete