Thursday, March 31, 2011

pruning the roses

My Martha Stewart gardening book says to prune your roses (at least in my area) in late March, and that's what I always try to do.



It's been so cold around here lately, but the temperature was up a little today - and it's the last day of March!
It's supposed to snow tomorrow, but I really wanted to get it done.  It was drizzling a bit, but I made myself do it - I've certainly pruned them in colder weather than this.

I only have three now.  A rugosa -



which grows like a weed, is very fragrant and has lots of spiny thorns, 



and rose-pink blooms.

Another is a red grandiflora - Mr. Lincoln, maybe? - I like the way the blossoms turn blackish after a cold snap in the fall.




How messy they were, with many more broken canes than they normally have, resulting from a severely snowy winter.

The third rose is one of those newer, very hardy types, called Regensburg - a little, delicate-looking thing, which I left alone for now.


I have a thing about pruning - I'm quite severe with them.  Here's the grandiflora after-



and the rugosa  -




I assure you, it will come back.  When pruning, I often think of the way God "prunes" us - with our difficulties and sufferings of one sort or another - but it's so we'll be more focused and produce larger, more beautiful "blooms".  I didn't clean away the leaves, because of the weather that's coming - maybe they will help protect the roots.

I actually do have another rose, but it's a moss rose and blooms only in June, so I don't prune it till afterward  - I almost forgot about that one!

4 comments:

  1. We are hoping to put in a rose bush for each of our children at this 'new to us' house and I know nothing about their care. I'm glad to see this and look forward to pics when they bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I flatter myself that I know something about them, so maybe I can help you when the time comes - although your climate is a bit different from ours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa Dear Lisa,

    A friend of Tim's came 2 weeks ago to do an early spring yard clean up. It was not my idea ;-) ... he arrived unexpectedly around 8:00am being the industrious sort.. I heard noises and grabbed a robe to throw over my pj's (frosty morning!) - alas, I was too late. He pulled out all of my raspberry bushes! ALL.Of.Them...I was in shock - and horrified! - His explanation? - "There were prickers so I thought they were weeds"...............HUH? I ran to the other side of the house to check on my roses. Fortunately they were intact or I'd have a barren yard. But my berries! Summer will NOT be the same! I am mourning their loss :-)

    ReplyDelete