Tuesday, January 25, 2011

felted Margarita bag

Two years ago my brother gave me a knitting calendar for Christmas - the kind in a box with loose pages, a project for almost each day.  I determined to make something immediately, and chose the first one which appealed to me, called the Margarita Bag, which I found out is also a free pattern on the Crystal Palace website.

Crystal Palace yarns were recommended, and since I'd never felted any of my work before, I was loathe to experiment with substituting. But it's expensive stuff, so I hopped over to ebay and found some for lower prices - choosing colors which they had available. 


It was the first time I'd knitted in the round, the first time doing an I-cord. And first time felting. 



Make this, and you'll have no trouble substituting your wool, but this design uses Little Flowers, and I'm not sure you'd find a sub for that - a sparkly, multi-colored carrying weight yarn which enchants you as you knit, twinkling it's colors as you go! So if you make this bag, definitely use Little Flowers.


I wish it were a little larger - I don't use it much for that reason, and also because the beautiful bluey purples don't go with most of my clothes.  But I still like it, and it wasn't difficult to do.

                                                                      
                                                                             
                                                                           

4 comments:

  1. It is a lovely bag Lisa, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it. if you want a pattern for a bit bigger bag, try this one:

    http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTfrenchmarket.html

    it's the pattern for the dark purple felted bag that i made a couple years ago. very nice size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you DID knit in the round! *rubs her hands in joy*
    It looks pretty. Pity it doesn't go with most of your clothes. You'll have to find some that do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I suppose so, Hana! But the double pointed needle thing seems like another world entirely to me - you know, having your work on 3 or 4 different short needles. Needles which, by the way, which don't have a thing on the end that keeps the knitting from slipping off! That's what scares me!! :)

    ReplyDelete