Wednesday, December 15, 2010

tough earrings


Among my collection of cheap Christmas earrings are the above.  A number of years ago I wore them to the supermarket; there was snow on the ground, and when I got in the house one of them was missing from my ear. I searched every place I could - they didn't turn up.

A couple of months later, I found it in the driveway, unmarked, unblemished - no peeling, no rusting, or whatever might befall cheap metal earrings which lay in the snow for weeks; being run over by a pickup, etc.   !

I still am amazed when I think of it.

4 comments:

  1. That is amazing! They are beautiful earings. I can't believe none of the rhinestones came out! Such a blessing.

    I collect vintage rhinestone jewelry. I started collecting them in my early 20s.(so almost 20 years now) I have over 100 pieces. I loved how they connected me with the Ladies in the Church that were in their 70, 80 and 90s. When I was in my early 20's they woudl often tell me, "I am older than your newest vintage piece." And, then after about a year or more (this was before they became popular to wear again obviously) they would start wearing them again here and there. They would get tickled about how I would "ooh" and "ahh" over their pieces. And, I always enjoyed teasing them that I could only dream of getting a rhinestone piece for a dime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice thought, to feel a connection with these older ladies through your jewelry - do you still wear these pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some tough earings, and beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear them on special occasions and every Sunday. I adore them. Some are from my Great Grandma, Great Aunts, and my Grandma so they are priceless to me. I have a picture of them on my site under the word vintage.

    ReplyDelete