Tuesday, October 5, 2010

the Brother Cadfael mysteries

The beautiful photos on Rachel's blog gave me the idea for this post.


Ellis Peters's medieval mystery novels are among my absolute favorite books, and I have read them all - 20 - more than twice. They take place in Shrewsbury, England in the Benedictine Monastery of St. Peter and St. Paul in the 12th century.  Human nature being what it is, murders happen, or other mysterious doings, and the one who ends up figuring things out is one Brother Cadfael, a Welsh monk and member of that faith community.  Cadfael has an open nature, and a great interest in and respect for his fellow man/woman which is why he's the one who's inclined to try and get to the bottom of things. Also, his "job" at the monastery is to grow medicinal herbs and make medicines for not only his fellows within, but the people in the nearby town. (I guess there weren't doctors in those days!)  So, Cadfael is afforded more opportunities to get out of the enclosure than the others, and he's friendly. And he learns a lot in the process.

When I read these books, I marvel at the way Ellis Peters says things. After all, aren't we all speaking the same language?  But some people have a gift for using the words we all know with such a beauty - such wisdom - it's a revelation.   She wrote 20 of them, plus a prequel of sorts, with 2 shorter stories in it.

I re-read these books when I feel the need to become "human" again. In Cadfael's company, there's hope.

5 comments:

  1. Well I'm wondering where I've been that I've missed this series of books. Thank you so much for the recommendation, I do love a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the TV series and have collected most of the books. I've only read a few though. The rest are on my "to read" list for the winter! :)
    Jenny
    aka jennyven

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should make your winter a little more pleasant, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read a Cadfael novel. I have "A Bloody Field Near Shrewsbury" on my bookshelf, lent to me by my Mum, so I think I'll be using a nice long winter evening to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, that one isn't a Cadfael story - she wrote many historical novels in addition to the mysteries - and which I am always meaning to read.

    ReplyDelete