Monday, September 13, 2010

forgiveness


Yesterday's readings at Mass were all about forgiveness.


First,  Exodus 32, the story of the Israelites worshipping the molten calf - I see how stiff-necked this people is, continued the Lord to Moses. Let me alone, then, that my wrath may blaze up against them to consume them. But Moses prayed for them and begged God to spare them. verse 14 - So the Lord relented in the punishment He had threatened to inflict on His people.

Then, we read Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God, in Your goodness
in the greatness of Your compassion wipe out my offense
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.

A clean heart create for me, O God
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from Your presence
and Your Holy Spirit take not from me.

O Lord, open my lips
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, You will not despise.

The second reading was from St. Paul's 1st letter to Timothy, where he speaks of his old behavior and God's forgiveness to him.

The Gospel was taken from St. Luke, chapter 15 - the good shepherd and the prodigal son.


painting by Rembrandt

No comments:

Post a Comment