Saturday, August 17, 2019

curtains down and chickens in the yard

Since I love linen and cotton so much, I am ironing two or three times a week. But I'm in trouble now, since a little cat has come into the house; she just has to attack the electrical cord. So the second and third times I made an attempt, I waited till she was asleep. This meant nothing, of course - she didn't mind at all interrupting her rest when there was a cord to be chewed. I finally put her in the bathroom while I finished.




Of course,I heard a loud noise in there, and found the curtain and rod half down, needing the help of some pliers before I could set it to rights. And the toilet paper, some of it unrolled, of course. But I refuse to switch to polyester on her account! Otherwise, she is entirely precious.

The people behind our next-door neighbors have chickens; I love hearing them and have wanted to get a look at them, but I'd have to go way around, as there's a high fence between their properties.



Right after re-hanging the bathroom curtains, I decided to shake out a little rug near the back door. I hung it over the railing and when I turned to come in, I saw them out near the brook, alongside the bridge. They were looking at me. They had escaped their area somehow!

I hurried to google my neighbors' phone number, but I got a message that their voice mailbox was full. I rushed around our side fence into the next-door yard and up to the big fence, hoping I could see someone in their back yard, but it was hard to see through the chain link. I called out, "Patrick! Desiree!" Only the rooster replied, and I didn't want to get him stirred up.

I've read too many blog posts from chicken owners who've lost them to predators. I called my brother to stop at their house on his way home from work. Well, they were sitting outside; apparently they let them out now and then. But I don't think they realized they came through the brook and over to our property. If there is a next time, I will try not to panic about it.

5 comments:

  1. Naughty kitty! :D She will either eventually grow out of playing with electric cords or you'll have to find a cat-proof room to put her in. Or, do what I did recently and get a cordless iron; I love it!
    Our neighbours used to let their chickens roam far and wide. It annoyed us when the hens came in our garden because they did so much damage. I think the local fox has killed most of them now. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cordless iron! Clare, I will look into it. You know darn well there is no such thing as a cat-proof room. Short of a padded cell.

      Delete
  2. Various animals have been making more work for you :-) But I'm glad you have the kitty -- and the chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kittens! Let the mischief ensue...

    ReplyDelete