Friday, June 15, 2012

fireflies

I spent the better part of a half-hour trying to photograph fireflies out my bedroom window tonight.  Nothing.

"There is certainly something a little supernatural about fireflies. Nobody pretends to understand them. They are akin to the tribes of fairy, survivals of the elder time when the woods and hills swarmed with the little green folk. It is still very easy to believe in fairies when you see those goblin lanterns glimmering among the fir tassels."


                                        -  L.M. Montgomery,  The Golden Road

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to see fireflies. I can imagine them being difficult to photograph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, can it be there are no fireflies in Britain? I'll try harder to catch a photo. Or, maybe I can use the motion picture mode.

      I kind of thought if I kept the shutter open 2, 3 or 4 seconds, something would show up in the photos, even if it was a little light trail, but it didn't happen.

      Delete
    2. Lisa, I don't think we have them - at least, if we do, they're very rare. We have glow-worms, apparently, but I've never seen them either!

      Delete