Saturday, February 5, 2011

end of a lean week, and a grace

It's eight days, so a bit longer than a week, and I made a new recipe for pea soup. After sauteeing the chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic, you add the herbs and sautee those for a bit - in this case, 2 bay leaves and some thyme. But rosemary or marjoram would do just as well, if that was your mood. It smelled wonderful! Then, at the end when the soup is done you add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice. I don't know where I got this recipe - it was just scribbled hastily on a card, but I think this will be our *new* version of pea soup.  I forgot to take a picture of it, but it looked like any pea soup has a habit of looking.

On the subject of food, I discovered a bit late that February 1st was the feast of St. Brigid of Ireland, and I have a prayer of hers posted on my little bulletin board right here. It's from How the Irish Saved Civilization, by Thomas Cahill, and I don't know how accurate the translation is, but it's a grace before meals and it struck me so at the time, that I had to save it.


I should like a great lake of finest ale
For the King of kings.
I should like a table of the choicest food
For the family of heaven.
Let the ale be made from the fruits of faith,
And the food be forgiving love.

I should welcome the poor to my feast,
For they are God's children.
I should welcome the sick to my feast,
For they are God's joy.
Let the poor sit with Jesus at the highest place,
And the sick dance with the angels.

God bless the poor,
God bless the sick,
And bless our human race.
God bless our food,
God bless our drink,
All homes, O God, embrace.

   -St. Brigid of Ireland,  451-525

I emphasized the last part, because it can obviously be used by itself - and I like it.

1 comment:

  1. We missed St. Brigid this year also, so I've doubly marked my calendar for next year - I'm making some fun plans!
    Its so funny you've posted this pea soup recipe, I've got the peas soaking for tomorrows crock-pot and lucky me, I've got all the other ingredients too!

    ReplyDelete