Friday, March 27, 2020

springing

The Christmas cactus at work has re-bloomed, for some reason. I don't think it's ever done that. Yesterday the mildness caused me to open a few windows, and so I heard the mockingbird singing. And this morning at the library I went outside to get the newspapers and I heard one singing there, too. Wonderful. We are still going to work, and today we began bringing out requests curbside for our patrons. It requires more work on our end, but it's good to be able to get the books and other things out to people.


"Our natural tendency is to praise God only when things are going well. But Scripture tells us, Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you....After praising God, the other forms of prayer - repentance, reading God's Word, interceding for others, or praying for my own needs - flow more from the leading of the Holy Spirit and less from my own limited human ideas. I'm able to pray with a heart more attuned to God's will and his wonderful purposes."

                                                               -  Mary Healy, from Magnificat, March 2020

5 comments:

  1. Being able to access reading matter becomes much more important at times like these. I am happy that I have plenty of books at home, now that we have to stay there, but so many people haven't. Now that the libraries are shut, what are those people to do?
    I am usually a fairly positive person so praising God each day has been fairly easy, up to now. I still see and hear things for which I can give thanks but the worries have to be pushed out of the way first. I do not believe in a god of retribution; I know our God is Love and that this trouble we have is of man's making. It is wonderful to know that so many people are putting aside all their personal worries and are helping others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people read ebooks, and we have quite a lot available through the library, although I don't know the statistics.
      It is very wonderful to see so many try to be helpful in their own ways. Today I watched videos by Paul Simon and John Fogarty. Another woman whose youtube channel I like homeschools her six children and the other day she gave advice to parents whose kids are home now. I'm sure it was welcome!

      Delete
  2. Our libraries closed here last week, but I have plenty of books to keep me going. Talked to my daughter Natasha in Old Lyme, CT this morning and they are fine.

    Stay safe! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynda! I'm glad your family is well.

      Delete
  3. Sadly, our libraries have closed with the "Safer at Home" order issued last week. These are unprecedented times; very unnerving! Take care, be safe, stay well! Wash your hands!

    ReplyDelete