Monday, December 3, 2018

calamondin oranges in a lemon pie

We have an orange tree in the library that someone gave us years ago; it's about four and a half feet tall and two or three times a year fragrant, white flowers appear and then the little oranges. Most of the time they go to waste, but I hate to see that. They are edible, although very sour. Last week I picked as many as were ready or almost ready. I had a pie in mind.


Joanna Gaines has a nice recipe for a large lemon pie that I thought I could make using these instead; I would squeeze them all, then add lemon juice to get to the right amount. Well, I had so many that I didn't need any lemons! In fact, I had the exact amount required.


One problem, though. It calls for three cups of condensed milk, and I had only two cans of it. I could have cut the whole recipe back by a third - but, since I had the perfect amount of juice, I didn't want to do that. 

I had cream, so I added that with spoonfuls of light brown sugar and vanilla. It certainly wasn't thick like condensed milk, but I took the chance. The pie appears good in every respect and I will bring it to work tomorrow for a "homegrown" treat.

6 comments:

  1. How resourceful you are! The pie sounds wonderful! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...how was it? I love pie, and oranges, but I've never had an orange pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just like a lemon pie, because they are as sour as lemons. Everybody loved it.

      Delete
  3. Excellent Waste-not-Want-not attitude! Plus, you can NEVER go wrong with pie! (well, I suppose it could happen, but it would take quite the doing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am making a pie tomorrow for our Christmas party - a fruit pie.

      Delete