Saturday, September 19, 2015

knitting a hat

I made myself take yarn from the stash recently and find something to knit with it. What my hand ended up grabbing was a skein of Berroco Flicker; I got it greatly reduced when a local yarn shop was closing its doors.

I'm not sure why I chose it at the time, as the color is rather insipid, and I just ended up with the one skein - everything was very picked-over.


I chose the Simple Slouch Hat, a free pattern I found on Ravelry.  It's looking pretty good, which is a pleasant surprise. The yarn is funny and I didn't know what to expect from it - it's a braid, and if you can't see it, click on the picture and you will. It's also got a fair amount of stretch - maybe because it's braided?  There are also gold sparkles throughout, which I think I captured in the photo.

It's coming along much better than I expected, so maybe this funny braided yarn isn't such an odd thing after all. Nothing could be simpler than this pattern which is all stockinette to a certain point, then just decreasing down to a nothing. No edging, but still a very cute design.

2 comments:

  1. I like the colour. I think those 'insipid', natural, autumnal kind of colours are what I am usually drawn to most for clothing. Does it being braided make it more prone to splitting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! I'm really enjoying the process. (I hope to write to you soon!)

      Delete