Thursday, September 24, 2015

creaming

Note to Self:  When mixing ingredients for a cake made with butter, please ignore instructions to mix all together at once - remember to cream butter and sugars together thoroughly before adding other.

Today I baked a spice cake; the butter *was* sufficiently softened. The recipe said to mix it all together at the same time, so I did; and no matter how long I made that KitchenAid work at it, I saw small pieces of butter which would not completely incorporate into the batter. I even tried using the whipping beater - nope. I got out my hand-held mixer, thinking I'd have better control; but that didn't do it. The pieces did get somewhat smaller, but they wouldn't disappear. So I had to just hope for the best and bake it anyway. Well, it does look pretty normal - it's in the freezer.


I'm hoping for the best.

5 comments:

  1. I've had that same 'note to self'! It looks good. Spice cake is perfect with a cup of tea on a fall day.:-) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh - the old ways are best. that was my job as a kid. Mother used to say to continue to whip until the butter goes light in colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just last week, I forgot to add in the melted butter at the appropriate time. Ready to head for the oven, and there was that butter! I just stirred it into the batter as it was already in the pan. No harm done, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete