Wednesday, March 6, 2013

the way to freedom

"To forgive another person from the heart is an act of liberation. We set that person free from the negative bonds that exist between us. We say, 'I no longer hold your offense against you.' But there is more. We also free ourselves from the burden of being the 'offended one'. As long as we do not forgive those who have wounded us, we carry them with us or, worse, pull them as a heavy load. The great temptation is to cling in anger to our enemies and then define ourselves as being offended and wounded by them. Forgiveness, therefore, liberates not only the other but also ourselves. It is the way to the freedom of the children of God."

                                       -  Henri Nouwen


"If the Lord rescues me from the snare of my faults, should I not extend the same kind of rescue to my neighbor? Resentment, grudges, retaliation do not help the one who offends me. They merely confirm the breach between us. Bridge building is costly, as the cross demonstrates, but the people stranded on both banks are all freed by the bridge."

                                      -  Magnificat,  March 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment