Thursday, May 5, 2011

{pretty} skirt, {happy} ironing, {funny} quilt and {real} challenge

This week my {pretty} is detail on a skirt I made last year from a lovely embroidered lawn - obtained at a good price, I might add





My {happy} is a photo of the same skirt on the ironing board, because most of my clothes require ironing, but I'm very happy lately to be ironing some pretty spring skirts after our long, long winter.




My {funny} is the "odd" meaning of funny, not the comical one - although you may laugh at it if you like.
I started this quilt last year but didn't feel like touching it during the winter. You quilters out there will definitely find this a strange one but I am willing to expose myself by showing it here - I very sloppily zigzagged circles onto a backing fabric with buttons in the middle in a random pattern. 



I picked it up recently and began hand quilting it, which is something I've never done.



I'm going around the outside, and then on the inside, along the zigzagging.  I said it was strange; I'm not looking for compliments here.  But it's what I'm working on, so I may as well show it.

There are going to be many "empty" areas when I'm done,



 and I have the idea to continue sewing concentric circles around the existing fabric circles - like dropping stones in the water! So, it will most likely take a long time to finish. But I have to say I'm enjoying it.


My {real} this time is a re-do of an earlier post here, called Pay It Forward 2011, where I promise to make a little something by hand and send it to the first five bloggers who say they'd like to get something handmade. But in turn, they have to do the same, and advertise it on their blogs.  I didn't get any takers, not having many readers, but I thought I'd give it another try.  So, we'll see!  But it's for {real}!

Thank you again, Leila!


round button chicken

9 comments:

  1. I love the quilt. So many times I start a project because I want to create something. For me it mostly about the planning and the finished project. Here you have something you enjoy working on. Something that takes time and can absorb little parts of your life as you work. That is inspiring to me. Glad I popped over from LMLD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and affirm your quilt! Keep quilting! It will be amazing! You might even think of quilting the "empty" bits with circles -- rather than echoing the circles of applique. At first that's what I thought you meant and loved that idea! But you are very creative --I'm sure your way will be pretty!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, kind ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your quilt is lovely! I love the idea of the concentric circles being like a stone dropped in water - such a metaphor for life. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt. Wonderfully original and looking just great!

    I wish I could join your pay it forward but I joined one a couple of weeks ago. It's my first and I'm a little paralyzed wondering what to make now! Good luck with it, and please wish me luck participating in mine...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathryn - you make REAL quilts, so I thank you for that remark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. (From a non-quilter/wannabe) I think the quilt looks great, and I loved the mental image of your description. Ditto the juxtaposition of the skirt and the ironing board pad. Florals on contrasts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Nicole! But don't stay a wannabe - just do it! I'm just a schlepper, but it was time!

    ReplyDelete