Tuesday, March 8, 2011

throwing over a skirt

In an issue of Country Living last fall - they've taken to putting a bit of fashion in, which is nice though a bit strange for a decorating magazine - there was a skirt - wool plaid, on the bias, maxi length and a hundred and seventy nine dollars, if my memory serves me. It was slightly a-line -  I thought I could copy it easily. Found a plaid I liked at fabric.com which was mostly wool - a pretty plaid, and quite inexpensive.

The package arrived and I opened it. My first impression was that it felt like a blanket. When I took it out and held it up, it struck me that it looked very well in the living room. What a nice throw it would make! and so cheap considering it was mostly wool!  And it looked good with the curtains. But I had to decide: a skirt, or a throw?



It would make a terribly warm skirt; in fact, that was a concern. Would it be too warm at the library? It's pretty warm where I go to church, too.   I was inclined to make it anyway, but it was holiday season and other things were more pressing.

However now it's almost spring and if I don't make it soon, I won't be wearing it until next winter. Also, Lent begins tomorrow and I have a desire to force myself to finish up some lingering projects as something good to do during this season. So, this evening I took the fabric into the living room intending to cut out the pattern pieces, but it came to me again how well it looks in there. I can make a skirt out of any plaid, but how many fabrics will match the decor so perfectly?

The brown cord I used for a pillow cover will do very well for the edging. My mind is made up!






4 comments:

  1. The whole time I was reading this, in my mind I was saying 'make the blanket, make the blanket' so I was happy that when I got to the end of the post to find that was your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, isn't that funny! I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful plaid! I think you made the right decision because a long wool skirt can really be too much warmth (and I am a chilly person).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I thank you, but.........I have been all over this house, and I CAN'T FIND WHERE I PUT IT! I'm terrified that it got thrown out somehow. Where, oh where can it be???

    ReplyDelete