Friday, October 8, 2010

fire-roasted tomato bisque - fast and easy

I made this soup after work today; I felt like a little more than just sandwiches, and I wasn't too tired to do it.  It's one of those invaluable recipes which can be done fairly quickly, and are well worth the extra effort.

I do change it a bit, though. I don't tend to chop the veg very small - as a result, the carrots especially do not cook in 15 minutes. I simmer it for a half hour. I do not drain the canned tomatoes. There is so little extra juice in them, what for?  Also, I don't usually have heavy cream in the house; I use whatever dairy I have, e.g., Lactaid 2% milk, fat-free sour cream - whatever!  It's only 1/4 cup, after all. And I don't add the butter at the end - it isn't necessary.

It's very tasty - I was going to take a photo, but we ate it all up!

1 comment:

  1. I've been on the search for a good tomato bisque, thanks for the link. I got a fabulous Mushroom/Madeira soup from either Food and Wine or Cooks...can't remember. It is divine though!

    ReplyDelete