Friday, September 10, 2010

making lemonade

Last March, I saw this skirt in the J Jill catalog  -



I thought I could copy it without spending $99, and finally got around to it this week.

Except   -   I guess my calculations were incorrect, because it wasn't turning out as I had planned, so I tried to figure out if I could do anything else with this black medium-to-heavier weight linen skirt with the long tucks. I picked up my Amy Butler's In Stitches, and found a very simple shoulder bag which I thought would do nicely.


                                               

I didn't have leather for straps, but I had grosgrain ribbon, and I found some William Morris repro print for the lining. Then, I made fabric flowers for decoration.   So, this is it -


                                      




I don't have a wide experience of sewing - I read the instructions for this before I began, but I admit I couldn't picture what was being described; I'm not good at that.  So, what I thought was going to be the lining, ended up being the fabric which shows on the back of the bag.  Still, I'm pleased with it! 

It's funny - when I got the book, that bag was not anything which appealed to me, but it seemed to make sense for my purposes, and now - I like it!!

The directions for making the flowers are on the right, under "Things to Do" - Sydney Albertini's flower sashes. I didn't make the sash, just the flowers; with buttons, instead of roving, which I didn't have.

                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment