"As we walked, there came the sound of distant thunder. A storm was rolling through the dales. I'd scarcely noticed how the light had pulled itself down beneath the leaves of the great trees, how they seemed to glow with the threat of storm to come. And instead of returning the way we came, back down through the young wood and through the churchyard, we followed a path along the back hill, coming out on the edge of the ruins, slipping into the courtyard garden and passing blooms trembling in anticipatory glory. Rain was coming, and every living thing was in wait. Down a bit of stair in the southwest corner, and through an arched passage leading beneath the Glass Walk, we came out onto the stretch of lawn near the house, a view of the lake unfolding."
- from The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion, vol. 8
There's been a wind advisory in effect since noon yesterday, but there isn't much wind yet. It was beautifully breezy yesterday, but got quiet later in the day, and all night (although I was not awake all night to be sure of that). The wind began to appear mid-morning, it's been gusting and blowing on and off since, and I'm starting to hear thunder. It's supposed to be a whopper, so we'll see what happens next. I did all the laundry I can do, and there's a pot roast in the slow cooker.
I went out last evening before dark and everything had a pinkish tinge -
and even this guy
I would like to cut out a dress, and get out some fall-ish decor. Maybe bake a cake.


It sounds as though you are as prepared as you can be for the storm. After such a long, hot summer, we are finally getting cooler weather. I baked a pineapple upside-down cake yesterday. It's a fall thing, for sure!
ReplyDeleteWe have been quite cool this past week - in the sixties! I've had the week off, and have really enjoyed my time.
DeleteHave you read all of the Emma M. Lion books there are to read? It's so nice to have a cozy home to be in when anticipating a storm. We don't have anything of that sort on the forecast here -- but some warm days to look forward to next week.
ReplyDeleteHappy Fall!!
Yes, I feel very cozy this evening, and I baked a cake for the freezer. It's for a birthday next month.
DeleteI just finished the eighth Emma Lion - that's it until February when the ninth comes out. She plans to write 25! How long will that take?? They have grown and grown on me. :)
I hope all is well with you, Lisa and that you have weathered the storm <3
ReplyDeleteI think it's mostly over, and it was almost nothing here, as opposed to shoreline areas.
DeleteI am pleased! <3
Delete