I am a countryman, Lord,
who comes from the country of the world.
Teach me your city's ordered ways,
the courtesies and gracious manner of your court.
Remove from me the likeness of the world,
on which I had been modelling myself,
and make me like your citizens,
lest in their midst
I seem as one deformed.
And teach me too
the language that I do not know,
the language I began to hear
when I came out of Egypt,
but do not understand
because I had grown up in an alien land.
Teach me the language you speak
with your sons and they with you.
And make me understand those little
signs, by which you give
understanding hearts to know
what is your good, acceptable,
and perfect will.
who comes from the country of the world.
Teach me your city's ordered ways,
the courtesies and gracious manner of your court.
Remove from me the likeness of the world,
on which I had been modelling myself,
and make me like your citizens,
lest in their midst
I seem as one deformed.
And teach me too
the language that I do not know,
the language I began to hear
when I came out of Egypt,
but do not understand
because I had grown up in an alien land.
Teach me the language you speak
with your sons and they with you.
And make me understand those little
signs, by which you give
understanding hearts to know
what is your good, acceptable,
and perfect will.
- William of Saint-Thierry
I sometimes get headaches from coming storms too 🫂
ReplyDeleteMy sinuses were partly blocked earlier today - better now!
DeleteI love that poem!
ReplyDelete-Gretchen Joanna
I find that lots of the prayers from saints of the Middle Ages appeals to me; they were more direct in their thinking than we are.
DeleteI often get headaches and nausea when a storm approaches. My mother was and Elinor is the same.
ReplyDelete