Over the last two weeks, I've seen a bird perching, every now and then, on a post outside the kitchen window. At first I thought it was a mockingbird - the coloring is right, but the shape is not that of a mockingbird. This was not a familiar bird to me. So finally I took a picture.
"Flycatchers perch in an upright attitude and often sit quite motionless."
- A Field Guide to the Birds, Roger Tory Peterson
I found a photo just like mine - this is an Eastern Phoebe, a type of flycatcher. He sits quietly for a while on his post, and then he's gone. I've never seen one before, but if he's catching flies and other bugs on the wing, he won't be coming that close to the house, I guess. Many's the time I hear unfamiliar bird calls and have no idea what bird is calling. I'm not sure if one of those bird ID apps would work unless I'm closer than inside the house with the window open. If we didn't have these short and temporary posts, I wonder if he'd come - he seems to like them particularly. Another bird book said they wait for insects to fly past, then they go - it's called hawking.
I put up new "curtains" in the living room today - this consisted of two lengths of fabric, hemmed at either end and clipped up. No lining, and not even a need to hem the sides - the selvedges won't fray. But they aren't really long enough to swoop up with the ribbon. Also, they don't meet in the middle of the rod, and I always wish I could think of something to hang in the middle. I have no more fabric, but am hoping I can think of something.


I love your sweet little phoebe! Only once many years ago did I see a phoebe in my garden, and it was definitely not the eastern one ;-)
ReplyDeleteI have no idea if phoebes are always around here, or if this one is passing through.
DeleteLovely bird and the curtains are beautiful
ReplyDeleteThanks, Elizabeth. :)
DeleteI love your window pictures! The curtains are perfect!
ReplyDeleteI have to try and remember how you love window pictures, Mary!
Delete