I've been wondering at what level cats can communicate information to one another.
After Benny was coming around for a few weeks, Leon started to show up. I would put out a bowl of food for Benny, Leon would come up the steps, Benny would continue eating while Leon might attempt to nose in on a bite here and there, Benny would just keep eating, and then Leon would give up the attempts. Benny would not hiss or swat, there was no annoyance or aggravation between them. They are used to each other. But I dud once see Benny stop eating and go nose to nose with Leon. It seemed there was some exchange there, something imparted. They know each other well. Leon backed off. Now we just give them both food.
They both seem very mild-mannered, very gentle. My brother picked up Benny today, after he had reached up, seeming to want it. Meanwhile, I was visiting with Leon on the back step while pulling little things from his long fur; I heard him purring.

Lucky cats!!
ReplyDeleteI also wonder at what level animals communicate. I am amazed at some of the things cattle do. I have probably told you a couple of my favorite stories. I do know that they have best friends within the herd.
ReplyDeleteI have trouble understanding some of the things the cats do. I started out with four wild little stray babies. We still have three. Two of the three, one male and one female, are almost constant companions. The third went off to live at another part of the farm. As far as I know, she has never gone back to see her family and seems happy living a solitary life. She loves for me to rub her from the top of her head to the end of her tail.
Benny and Leon are lucky cats!
I'm always surprised at such variety of personality among them - maybe I shouldn't be. But like you say, why are the two close, and the third solitary? One of the mysteries of life.
Delete