Saturday, May 16, 2020

Dolly says no more cats!

When the weather got nice, we put the little Kibble figure out on the back stoop. Cyndi said it's made to be outdoors, but we still wanted to wait for it to be warmer before putting it outside.


It's about one third the size of a real cat and when I pass by, it does give me a jolt and remind me of our little friend.

Yesterday was like a summer day; I came home from work and Dolly was awake and alert - I said, Dolly, let's go out. When she came out the door and saw the figure she gave it a slap. I had to laugh - that's our Dolly! It looks real to her.

But later, when I put a chair in the doorway for her to sit on, I could tell that she was disturbed to see this "cat" still there - she is bothered by it! And so we moved him over into the side garden where things are starting to get planted. I wonder if I were to bring it in and show her it's not alive, if that would make a difference?

9 comments:

  1. Your Dolly is a very intelligent cat. She may very well understand the Kibble figure is only pretend. All three of my cats had to attack anything that looked like a snake. They had never seen real snakes so the knowledge must be a genetic knowledge, hard-wired into their psyche. Despite us showing them that the hosepipe, the draught-excluder, even bacon rind wasn't a snake they still had to 'kill' them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon rind! Oh, Clare! Your observation is very interesting, and apparently she is just doing what she feels she must. (I just went and told Dolly that Clare Pooley says she's very intelligent.) :D
      By the way, I was poking around at the library in the back room, looking at new books that came in; there is a new novel written by - Clare Pooley! Not you! She lives in London, I think. Have you heard of her?

      Delete
  2. I have heard of her!
    I once got a message via FaceBook messenger from someone telling me that my book had been of great help. I was most flattered! I then had to google my own name and discovered I had written a book about cutting out alcohol! My drinking must have become a real problem as I couldn't remember having written a book. I jest!
    I haven't read her earlier book but I see that both it and the new one have had good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With regard to the bacon rind. When our cats were quite young we gave them a little bacon rind each just to see whether they would like it. They were very suspicious and instead of trying it they picked it up and threw it in the air so that it landed behind them. They did this a few times and then walked off and left it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny they all did the same thing. Perhaps they arranged ahead of time what they would all do if you gave them a bacon rind to try. For some reason. :D

      Delete
    2. Hehe! That wouldn't surprise me! :D

      Delete