Thursday, November 14, 2019

working on the bathroom window

I have been slowly, very slowly removing the wallpaper in the bathroom and painting the walls - just the upper half of the small room, the bottom half being tile.

It looks bare without any pattern on the walls; it will take getting used to. So, I was looking at the window with fresh eyes the other day. I had removed the shade and the upper curtain a while back, with the idea to let more light in, but with just a curtain on the bottom half it did look rather blah. I picked out a book from my shelf and flipped through, looking for ideas of, I don't know what, things to put above the window, or a very sheer curtain (I really didn't want to do that but sometimes a good picture changes your ideas). I saw this:


Now, I don't have painted woodwork, or those nice knobs. But, laughably, the curtain rod brackets were still up, screwed into the window frame. I looked through my fabric and saw some left from my summer dress. I cut a long piece, pinked the ends to make it neater, folded it and laid it over the brackets.


Very hard to get a decent photo, and it's certainly nothing fabulous, but now something is up there and it doesn't block any light. And today I made new curtains with some beautiful soft denim I've had for years, which matches the swag very well. They still need to be hemmed and I hope I can do that Saturday.


I love the frayed look of the selvages.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! Please show us the finished look 😊👏

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look good! Isn't inspiration wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how quickly you can get an idea, not to mention run with it! :D

      Delete
  3. Looks very neat! I'm just waiting for the Memsahib to announce our pre-Christmas must be done by 24th December project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. So, is that how she operates? :D

      Delete
  4. What a great solution to the "blah"!

    ReplyDelete