Tuesday, November 26, 2019

pie crust ramblings

For my brother's birthday I was going to make a cheesecake, as I usually do. But he seemed to be fighting a cold the week before, so I asked him if he wanted to be eating so much dairy, and he said a blueberry pie would be just fine. So, that's what I did.

My mother was a good cook, but she couldn't make a pie crust; we would eat supermarket pies when we were kids, and we didn't know any better, but then I learned how to make one in Home Ec. class. Afterward, the holiday pies would fall to me - everyone liked my pies and all was well for years. I think I used a recipe from a Farm Journal cookbook, and shortening was called for.


When "The Omega Plan" came out, I found out how unhealthy Crisco was, so I switched to using canola oil. (it took another several years for me to understand about organic, non-GMO canola oil) I've been making oil crusts for years now, but it's a softer dough. No rolling it out on a floured counter - I roll it between sheets of wax paper. It's thinner, too, and I've given up trying to crimp the edges prettily like I used to do back when. The taste is good and my fruit pies never get soggy on the bottom.

Back to my brother: I was too low on canola oil to make a crust, but at the supermarket I couldn't find any of the Spectrum brand I always get - it was nowhere. I thought of trying lard, but the package said it had three additives which sounded foreign and awful to me. Well. At home I had butter, and coconut oil. And, while they say that some things make better pie crusts than others, fat is still fat, and I knew I could make one with whatever I had around.

I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, but with one stick of butter and one cup of coconut oil. I left out the sugar. It was like the old days, rolling it out on the counter with flour all over the place! It came out fine, except that the bottom crust got gooey from the berries. (I always put way less thickener than called for, deliberately, for plenty of juiciness.)

I've been pondering for a while if I should start making butter crusts. If I do, I am going to roll them out between wax paper, in order to get them thinner - I think I can avoid the gooey factor that way. Meanwhile, I bought some grapeseed oil at the store, as the bottle said it was suitable for higher heat, as in baking. I'll probably use it for the pumpkin pie I make tomorrow, as I'm more used to the oil crust and I have lots of cooking to do ahead of Thanksgiving. But I will go back to the other method again - it's good to have options.


I ended up making the cheesecake anyway. It's a great recipe, isn't too big, has not-too-much sugar, and can be made with goat cheese, so is pretty healthy.


It went fast. Unlike this post, which I'm sure was too involved for anyone but a dedicated pie baker!

9 comments:

  1. Yum! Cheesecake. My favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks great! Can you share the recipes? ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I already linked the pie crust recipe, and just now I inserted a link for the cheesecake. As for the blueberry pie filling - I never use a recipe for fruit pie. I just put the fruit in a bowl, add the spices I want, and then begin to add sugar, a little at a time, until it's slightly sweeter than I like, because it always seems less sweet after it's cooked, for some reason. I look at the amount for thickener, halve it with a little bit more. That's my "recipe". :D

      Delete
  3. For years I made my (excellent, according to me) crusts with half butter, half shortening, using the Joy of Cooking recipe. Then I learned that my new DIL used all butter, and I found the Mark Bittman recipe that does that, and I've done nothing else since. I did want to use lard myself, but when my friend who made her own lard moved away, I couldn't find any without preservatives.

    I used to use a mat and a rolling pin cover, in my first years of learning, but nowadays I have my quartz countertop and a marble rolling pin and that seems to do the trick.

    I see that SK advises against using the food processor. My daughter made beautiful pies preparing the dough in a processor, but my attempts always seem to end with the dough being of uneven consistency, and then parts of the edge droop in the oven.

    Today I had planned to make two *vegan* pumpkin pies with a cookie sort of crust, but they were going to be a surprise, and I gave up on the idea, since no one is expecting them. It's a different kind of Thanksgiving this year, and will be lovely, and I don't need to wreck it by having a nervous breakdown. ;-)

    Thank you for sharing your recipes and experience - it's always helpful to hear from other cooks' experiments, if only to gain reassurance or courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Bittman! I think of vegetables when I think of him. :D But I think I'm seeing a pattern here: every cookbook has their own recipe, but they can't differ that much, can they? And it seems that the first version that a baker comes across that comes out well is the one they stick with, until they need to find another!
      Smitten Kitchen eschews the food processor because large pieces of butter in the dough make it flakier, according to her experience. Of course, with an oil crust that can't happen. I made two pies today using the grapeseed oil and they are nice and thin. I'm content. But I do want to return to that butter recipe and roll it out thinly in the waxed paper.
      A Happy Thanksgiving, Gretchen!

      Delete
  4. Both the pie and the cheesecake look delicious! I stopped using 'Cookeen' shortening a while ago because of all the palm oil in it and found oil so difficult to use to make pastry. I use pure lard and/or unsalted butter and I have noticed no difference to the taste or the way I roll it out on the counter. It is probably not such a healthy option to use either lard or butter but pastry isn't health food anyway! :D
    A belated happy birthday to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell him, Clare - thanks! Yes, the oil is tricky; today it was very soft, so I put the rolled-out piece, waxed paper and all, into the freezer while I did something else for a few minutes. I was afraid it would come apart when I peeled off the paper - it happens!

      Delete
  5. Lisa, how I enjoyed this post! I can honestly call it riveting, and it looks like others may agree. I admire how versatile you are and how readily you try new things. And that cheesecake! Sublime!! Your brother is fortunate, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I don't know how versatile I *am*, but I feel that I need to force myself to be when these situations come up. They are opportunities, it seems. Let's hope I'm growing! Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete