Sunday, August 25, 2019

a contrasting hem

I'm finally finishing up a summer dress I started way back when; I'm ready to hem it.

I had pinned this image from Anna's website, Pleasant View Schoolhouse, because it seems I'm often drawn to hems with borders: it's the third photo down, with her daughter wearing a dress that looks like the hem is bound with bias binding. I love this look!

I decided to try it with my blue floral, and use a contrasting color.


The ruby red looks nice with it, I think.

I was trying to figure out the best way to go about it; using double fold is the ideal, but I wanted to use what I had on hand and I liked this color. I stitched it on to right side, intending to fold it under and secure it in back, but that would make a very thin band at the bottom, and I like this particular width.


I'm just going to trim and zigzag the seam allowance underneath there, and then leave it be; it's bias - it shouldn't fray, right? I like that width - we'll see what happens! I'll only have to press out the fold line.

3 comments:

  1. very nice!!!! I wish Anna was still blogging, I loved hers very much! It's so nice to make and mend things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those two colours together and I agree, if you folded the bias it would be too narrow. I can't wait to see you model the finished dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How summery! I love the color combination, but cannot offer much information in regard to the seams. What you did will probably work.

    And Anna! How I miss her blog. I actually read through her entire blog again this summer when I was in need of something good to read and couldn't get to the library. She has inspired me so much over the years.

    ReplyDelete