Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Dolly hears The Who


I was playing "The Kids are Alright" - I made sure it wasn't loud - I'm not sure she cared for it.

I read Roger Daltrey's memoir, "Thanks a Lot Mr. Kibblewhite" (the name, right?) but my co-worker, whose cd it is, can't quite reconcile my desire to read the book with my insistence that I'm not a Who fan, and never was.

Of course, I am familiar with all their hits from the past, but never bought an album. I think what got me curious about Roger Daltrey was an article years ago somewhere that said he was a fish and game warden someplace in England. Well!, I thought, now that's a very normal thing for a rock singer to want to do. So when I heard about his book I had an interest.

Another thing going for it is its brevity. Some of these rock memoirs are very long (Keith Richards, anyone? - but I'm not a Stones fan, either). I've never even read a Beatles biography and I always loved them.

So anyway, I read this one - it was interesting. He got to his point, didn't beat about the bush. I'm glad I read it, but I still don't want to see "Tommy", don't want to listen to "Quadrophenia". I don't think Dolly does, either. 

12 comments:

  1. I got part the way through Neil Young's autobiography (I was/am a fan), but found it heavy going. Maybe I should have taken note of the title (Waging Heavy Peace).

    I was never much of a Stones or Beatles fan, but I did like the Monkees! I'm almost embarrassed to admit it now :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - no further comment. :D

      Delete
    2. You know that Peter Tork was from Connecticut, right?

      Delete
    3. No...I didn't know that! Or maybe I did...way back then...

      But it was Davy Jones I fancied :)) xx

      Delete
    4. But while we're on the subject of biographies, I'm reading the memoir of Reeve Lindbergh (Under a Wing), daughter of aviator Charles Lindbergh, and Anne Morrow Lindbergh (who wrote Gift from the Sea). I'm really enjoying it! xx

      Delete
    5. The Lindberghs are an interesting couple, what little I know of them. I used to bring home some of Anne's works for my mother and she liked them.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure his life was interesting to read about. Not a Who fan myself, either, but it's always fascinating to have a peak at the ordinary man behind the "star".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like reading biographies just to see what these people were/are really like; or at least, what their biographer says about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I just picked up a biography of the four MacDonald sisters; daughters of the George MacDonald the minister who wrote the fairy tales. I had no idea he had daughters, one of whom married Edward Burne-Jones, one the mother of Rudyard Kipling, one whose son was Stanley Baldwin and the last was married to Edward Poynter, president of the Royal Academy. I hadn't heard of these ladies!

      Delete
  4. We don't make these connections because most history starts and ends with the men and the women stay in their shadow. I would be most interested to read that biography, Lisa. Who wrote it, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, it's called Circle of Sisters, and Judith Flanders wrote it, c2001.

      Delete