Tuesday, May 14, 2019

May, where are you?


I had polished these shoes last week, or maybe before that. They were nice and shiny and I put them away. Because it's May, after all, and who's going to wear black leather booties in spring?

Well, nobody, unless it's fifty degrees, or maybe even in the forties. And it was on Sunday, and I needed those shoes again. The weather man said it should be around seventy - it has been twenty degrees cooler than it's supposed to be. We are hoping today was the last of it; it's going up tomorrow, and at least till Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. Brrr.... It has been cold here, too with a strong northerly and then easterly wind off the sea. We have had a few frosts as well! Those boots look cosy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's better for you by now, Clare. It's nice here today.

      Delete
  2. And our May is developing strangely! A few days of sunshine, I could open the windows in the daytime. And now: RAIN -- this is unheard of, to expect in the next nine days that seven of them will be rainy?? This is California! But this is the atmospheric river, I guess...

    Without sun, my town is cold, summer or winter. I've turned on the furnace, for the first time ever in May. "In my youth" I remember we were in principle (the frugality principle) strongly opposed to any use of the furnace after March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the atmospheric river" - I love the sound of that! There are also several people in my acquaintance who won't use the heat after March, I normally I'd have it turned lower, but not this year!

      Delete
  3. I wore my long boots this week, but was barefoot the day before putting the washing out. Weather is all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we have to enjoy it as it comes, in snatches.

      Delete