Sunday, January 13, 2019

things that go "zoom" in the night

I was just dropping off to sleep, and later than I wanted to, when Sweetie began tearing up and down the hallway, into the living room, back to my bedroom, and back and forth again. A number of times. Not growling, but saying something like, "Woo!  Woo!". Needless to say I woke up, checked the time: it was one o'clock.

We had both been in bed over an hour and it's unusual for her to go wild so late, and all by her little self, unless she does it while we're sleeping and we're just unaware.

My researches tell me this is called the "nighttime zoomies".  It results from insufficient exercise during the day with too much energy to burn later. This really doesn't seem the case with her - she plays hard. But maybe we'll have to intensify that. I'm glad she's happy, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. How do you get a cat to play more in the day? I used to think some toddlers needed a treadmill...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you just make the time to engage them, rather than waiting for them to play on their own. Sweetie is so good at playing by herself that I don't tend to initiate anything with her. We'll see. It's not like it's an ongoing issue every night, keeping us awake. :)

      Delete