Saturday, October 27, 2018

a fine day

Debra and I went to our favorite lunch place today.


It was the perfect day for it; we were having a nor'easter, with heavy bands of rain whipped along by gusty winds. Lots of colorful leaves are on the ground now.  But we were inside, eating our omelets and drinking hot tea. This place has mismatched dishware, flowers at every table, the work of local artists hanging everywhere you look. There is a fireplace for the cold months with a poem or pleasant saying on a large blackboard above, a quiet atmosphere prevailing where they don't rush you out near closing time. I am not sure if omelets or charm is their specialty - both, I guess.

It was so pleasant. Didn't leave me much time to get things done at home, though. And October is almost gone, with no windows washed! I always wash them in October, but this year it was rainy and too cool. I will have to regroup.

"Sometimes when I have a day with many small things going awry, I suddenly think as dusk lets fall her soft violet color, that it is very silly of me to mind the stresses and strains. It was a day, was it not? I had the free air to breathe, and the sky to look on. Why should I complain? ...  A day is a fine thing, and we shall never see this day again.

It is not a thing to take too easily."

                                   -   Gladys Taber, from Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge

2 comments:

  1. that does sound so nice!!! it rained here too... and a transformer blew up (fire and everything!) near our favourite diner this morning... we were at the diner at night and asked about it (hearing earlier that a few people heard it happen, BOOM is how they described it)... the woman at the diner said it sounded like thunder...! I think in time DV I will need to pick up some Gladys Taber, what lovely writing you have shown us of hers here, thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful description of your day! The view from the window is so nice - typical late autumn weather.
    I hope you get a good window-washing day before the winter comes.

    ReplyDelete