Saturday, September 22, 2018

not quite like September

We haven't had a day yet that I would consider a quintessential September day. Crisp, clear air and deep blue sky, wonderful for doing anything out of doors. Today began in a promising fashion but ended up mostly cloudy, and feeling a little damp. I stayed in and had much to do.


Still, since fall begins today (in about fifteen minutes) I made more effort than I usually do for a Saturday dinner and I baked a pumpkin pie. I happened to have a can of pumpkin and got a whim to make it, except I had no cream, no milk. Only coconut milk and I was determined. Aside from taking a half hour extra to set, it's very good! A little sweet, maybe.

When my brother mowed across the brook, he left this grouping of wildflowers alone -



I'll have to look them up.

7 comments:

  1. I wasn't thinking about the first day of Fall as I was doing my "Fall Cleaning" -- but I brought a can of pumpkin into the house and maybe tomorrow I will make a pie, or at least pumpkin custard :-)

    Those flowers are pretty - except for not being white, they remind me of Pearly Everlasting. But I'm seeing from a distance, not clearly. I'll be interested to hear what you find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The English lady identified them, Gretchen - I don't need to bother looking it up. :D Happy in my ignorance of local plant life.

      Delete
  2. We have a horrible first day of autumn here with buckets of rain! We do need the rain so I'm not too sorry except it is so gloomy and dull. Your flowers look like Joe Pye Weed https://www.gardendesign.com/plants/joe-pye-weed.html - I would love some in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, I believe you're right! Please tell me it grows in your country; if it doesn't, I'm in awe of your plant knowledge. ;-)

      Delete
    2. We have a very similar wild flower (from the same family) called Hemp Agrimony and I noticed the similarity between it and Joe Pye Weed when I saw it(Joe Pye Weed) on a blog written by a man from New Hampshire! I find it can also be bought from plant nurseries here though I don't remember ever seeing it in anyone's garden.

      Delete
  3. Love the little fabric cat in your photo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got two of those at the thrift store, and they are reversible! :D

      Delete