Thursday, April 19, 2018

this is just what leftovers are for

I had two leeks in the fridge, and lots of potatoes, so the other day I we had potato leek soup with BLTs. Today I planned to make minestrone for supper but mid-day felt so weary I knew it would be a mistake to force myself. 

almost minestrone

I had also defrosted leftovers early in the week, not knowing what I'd be able to throw together after work. There was some potato leek soup left, so I heated it up, added more broth and put in the remains of our corned beef dinner from St. Patrick's Day. With a few carrots and green beans also leftover, I think the potato and leek base was the perfect complement to the meat! A bit of toast and some butter - I do feel a lot better now and it was very little work.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. I've never thought to add corned beef to a soup, but with the potato and leek base, it really sounds perfect! Very restorative, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I had defrosted that meat, wondering what the heck I could do with it! Then, it ended up being perfect timing...

      Delete
  2. Soups are so great for learning what flavors can work together. Resourcefulness helps us be creative, too :-) Reading about your soup makes me hungry right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, resourcefulness! I trusted, and it worked!

      Delete
  3. When I am weary after an illness, when I know I need to eat but I am too tired to cook, that is when I believe I need a housekeeper. You know, just like they have in all the old books. I could lie back on the sofa and tell her to have something tasty and nutritious ready in half an hour and to bring me a hot drink too! Then I could relax for a while then go to bed early and not worry about the washing-up or tidying the house. I think I could very easily get used to having her around even when I feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank heavens for leftovers!! Easy, resourceful, fast. Plus, potato leek soup is always delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete