Wednesday, February 28, 2018

good memories

"You must know that there is nothing higher, or stronger, or sounder, or more useful afterwards in life, than some good memory, especially a memory from childhood, from the parental home. You hear a lot said about your education, yet some such beautiful, sacred memory, preserved from childhood, is perhaps the best education. If a man stores up such memories to take into life, then he is saved for his whole life. And even if only one good memory remains with us in our hearts, that alone may serve one day for our salvation....and keep [us] from great evil.

                                                           -  Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

                                                     from Tending the Heart of Virtue, by Vigen Guroian

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quote! I think I will reflect on it as I go to bed. . . what my childhood lovely memory is. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the ones you have given your children.

      Delete
  2. such a beautiful quotation; I often think that I have been so blessed to have the childhood I did, with a Christian family and environment. I thank God for such a deep blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often thought about this, whether it is not so much our choices of belief and behavior that save us, but the gifts of experiences that form a bedrock of beauty, goodness and truth on which we are anchored in the Creator.

    Thank you for reminding me of this passage that I'm sure I underlined when I last read The Brothers K!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The background would surely make it all so much easier!

      Delete