Saturday, October 21, 2017

another visit from Tootsie

If you've been reading here a while, you may remember Tootsie, previously Cindy, who used to live with us. Well, her people are currently cruising around Australia so we have her for six weeks.

yes, this is the best picture I could get

I can't believe how well things are going. This is how it was last time, and I've been dreading this visit for a year and a half because of the last time. But the best thing you can do when you dread something is to pray about it, and that's what I did. After all, we have another cat here now - I couldn't imagine how we were going to shift them around and stay sane. 

My brother announced she'd have to stay in the basement. I felt really bad, but you know what? She is more peaceful than she's been any other time we've kept her. You know how they say that children need to know there are boundaries? That dogs feel safer in a crate sometimes? Well, I realized something about this cat. She used to be so aggressive towards Dolly (and still would be if we gave her the chance) and now I get it that she feels threatened by other cats; this time she's in a space that's all her own. She doesn't see the others and they don't bother her. My brother built two wooden platforms up near each window (with bedding up there) and ramps to go up to each; on every nice day he removes the glass and she gets the fresh air and hears the sounds of the day. The pantry closet is there, a fridge, and washer and dryer, so we often go down to get things or do laundry. There's a lot of places to poke around and she has her own radio, which really seems to appeal to her and make her less restless. It's been three and a half weeks already - I can't believe it! The other day we found her sleeping in a laundry basket - so cute, but as soon as my camera appeared she started squiggling around and trying to pose. 

Anyway, thank God!

5 comments:

  1. What a difference from last time! How nice that your brother has built platforms and ramps for her - just like a cat hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go! :)

    (And I owe you an email. I don't check that account often when I'm not blogging as often, so I just found it the other day.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you were busy, anyway. As for the cat - you don't know the half of it...

      Delete
  3. Aw, how lovely that everyone has found space to be more at ease! I hope the second half of her stay goes swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete